Sharing With the Security Community
Since 1999 Richard Bejtlich has been writing articles and books to advance the state of digital security practices. The following represent some of that work.
2015 and later:
- Please visit Academia.edu for Mr. Bejtlich's most recent research.
2014 and earlier:
- Seven Tips for Small Business Security, in the Huffington Post, 18 June 2014
- Strategy, Not Speed: What Today's Digital Defenders Must Learn From Cybersecurity's Early Thinkers, for the Brookings Institution, 7 May 2014
- What Federal Cyber Breach Notifications Really Mean for Business, for the Brookings Institution, 25 March 2014
- Don't Underestimate Cyber Spies: How Virtual Espionage Can Lead to Actual Destruction in Foreign Affairs, 2 May 2013
- Become a Hunter in the targeted-threat-centric Information Security Magzine, July-August 2011 (.pdf)
- Directions in Incident Detection and Response (.pdf) in the January/February 2011 issue of IEEE Security and Privacy magazine
- Understanding the Advanced Persistent Threat in Information Security Magazine, July 2010
- Traffic Talk issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Snort Report issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
- Keeping FreeBSD Applications Up-to-Date in BSD Magazine
- Keeping FreeBSD Up-To-Date: OS Essentials in BSD Magazine
- Computer Incident Detection, Response, and Forensics in CSO Online
- Tuning Snort, in the August 2006 Sys Admin magazine
- Network Security Monitoring: Beyond Intrusion Detection, in Volume 8, No. 4 of the IA Newsletter
- Keeping FreeBSD Up to Date, in the February 2006 Sys Admin magazine
- Engineering Disasters in the December 2005 issue of Information Security Magazine.
- Using Attack Responses to Improve Intrusion Detection
- Structured Traffic Analysis in the October 2005 (IN)SECURE magazine (.pdf)
- More Tools for Network Security Monitoring, in the February 2005 Sys Admin magazine
- Keeping FreeBSD Applications Up-To-Date, also published in the December 2004 and January 2005 issues of Daemon News.
- Keeping FreeBSD Up-To-Date, also published in the November 2004 issue of Daemon News.
- Sguil Installation Script
- Considering Convergence? .pdf, published as an Addison-Wesley-sponsored supplement to the November 2004 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal
- Integrating the Network Security Model (.pdf, .ps), in the April 2004 Sys Admin magazine
- Simplicity and Awareness: Keys to Network Security for the World Markets Research Centre's Global InfoSecurity 2002 report. (The article is a bit formal, and features a small amount of creative editing by the WMRC staff. Mr. Bejtlich certainly didn't intend for "UNIX" to be defined as a "Uniplexed Information and Computer System!")
- Network Intrusion Detection of Third Party Effects, published 05 September 2000
- Interpreting Network Traffic: A Network Intrusion Detector's Look at Suspicious Events, originally published 28 October 1999